Se Habla Español

Who Can Apply for a Green Card Through Adjustment of Status?

Who Can Apply for a Green Card Through Adjustment of Status?

The Adjustment of Status (AOS) process allows eligible immigration applicants to petition to become a legal United States permanent resident (Green Card holder) without applying for a visa if they pay a penalty fee. Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act allows individuals who would normally not be qualified for a visa to apply for a Green Card through adjustment of status despite entering the United States without inspection (EWI; Entry Without Inspection), overstayed their visa, or worked in the US without authorization. 245(i) makes adjustment of status an option for people who are generally ineligible for a visa due to the 245(c) adjustment bars, such not having an immediate family member who is a legal resident or instances of violence.

While the 245(i) laws expired in 2001, some immigrants may be “grandfathered” and qualify based on a 245(i) petition that was filed before April 30, 2001, and if they are the applicant or the beneficiary of a petition made before the law expired, such as a spouse or child of an individual who did receive a Green Card under 245(i).

Adjustment of Status 245(i) Eligibility Criteria 

  • A beneficiary of an immigrant visa petition as an alien relative, alien worker, alien entrepreneur, widow(er) or special immigrant received or postmarked to INS on or before April 30, 2001.
  • The beneficiary of an application for labor certification filed with the Department of Labor on or before April 30, 2001
  • Must be able to prove they have been physically present in the United States since December 21, 2000, if the qualifying visa petition or labor certification application was filed after January 14, 1998.

An AOS applicant must be physically present in the United State to apply; leaving the United States during the AOS process may be considered as an abandonment of the adjustment application.

There have been multiple updates to this section of the law and you may be eligible for 245(i) relief under a previous version of the law.

United States immigration laws are complicated and updated frequently. Mistakes in immigration applications can be costly and stressful and can result in denial of your petition or delays. An Immigration Simplified attorney can review your 245(i) Green Card through adjustment of status eligibility and guide you through the application process. We review your situation, provide you with the proper forms and help you submit your application. Contact us today to get started. Please contact our office or call us at 1-800-447-1660. 

Mario Godoy

Mario Godoy, Attorney at Immigration Simplified
Mario A. Godoy is the founder of Immigration Simplified and Godoy Law Office. His mission is to provide immigrants access to affordable, lawyer-backed immigration services. Immigration Simplified serves immigrants and foreign visitors to the United States. We help U.S. citizens reunite and/or obtain legal immigration status for their family members.
Mario Godoy

The details provided in the blog and the website is for general information and awareness only, and should be treated in that light alone. The information should not be treated as professional advice and should not be considered as a substitute for legal consultation. Since the law changes with time and at regular intervals, we recommend you get the help of an attorney before and during any legal proceeding. Please use the information shared in this website at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any direct or indirect consequence that may result from following the information in this website. Any information or contact through this website does not create an attorney client relationship.