Applicants for Naturalization must have a good knowledge of U.S. history and government, which is confirmed by taking a citizenship test. During the test, a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer randomly selects 10 questions from a list of 100 and reads them in English to the would-be citizen, who must answer at least 6 correctly.
Only 1 in 3 – 36% – of Americans would pass a multiple-choice test with questions from the U.S. Citizenship Test, according to a 2018 national survey conducted by Lincoln Park Strategies, an analytic research firm.
The survey found that:
- 72% of respondents either incorrectly identified or were unsure of which states were part of the 13 original states
- Only 24% could correctly identify one thing Benjamin Franklin was famous for, with 37 percent believing he invented the lightbulb
- Only 24% knew the correct answer as to why the colonists fought the British
- 12% incorrectly thought WWII General Dwight Eisenhower led troops in the Civil War; 6% thought he was a Vietnam War general
- While most knew the cause of the Cold War, 2% said climate change
Those 65 years and older scored the best, with 74% answering at least six in 10 questions correctly. For those under the age of 45, only 19% passed with the exam, with 81 percent scoring a 59% or lower.
USCIS has announced plans to improve the Naturalization Test in 2020.
Do You Want to Apply for Citizenship?
Applying for US citizenship can be confusing, and errors or missed deadlines can be costly or hurt your case. You may also qualify for expedited naturalization in certain instances. Immigration Simplified is an alternative to the expense of hiring an immigration lawyer or managing your application yourself. An Immigration Simplified attorney can guide you through the process and help you file correctly the first time. We review your situation, provide you with the proper forms and help you submit your citizenship application. Contact us today to get started. Please contact our office or call us at (312) 883-9944.
Se Habla Español