U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents are expected to begin immigration raids targeting 10 major US cities including Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York City, and San Francisco on Sunday, July 14, after a 3-week delay. The raids are targeting families who are fast-tracked for deportation, Dreamers and people who did not respond to notices from the Justice Department.
Mayors in Los Angeles, Baltimore and Chicago are refusing to cooperate with ICE and telling immigrants that by law they do not have to open their door unless they have a warrant signed by a judge.
Know Your Rights
The American Civil Liberties Union has a posted comprehensive guide to immigrants’ rights on its website, in both English and Spanish, detailing what raid targets should and should not do if ICE shows up at the door, including:
- Remain silent
- Do not lie
- You must show your papers if an immigration official requests them
- You have the right to say no to a search
- You have the right to a lawyer, but the government is not required to provide you with a lawyer
- If you are over 18 you should carry your immigration papers at all times
- If you are driving and pulled over, you are required to show your license and insurance paperwork, but not your immigration papers
With the latest round of ICE raids, you need to know your rights! Call us if you or a loved one are detained. If you or a loved one are picked up in an ICE raid, you and your family need to move quickly so you can have an attorney advocate next to you. Please contact our office or call us at (312) 883-9944.
Se Habla Español