Can I Become a Citizen While I Serve in the US Military?

Statue of Liberty and passport

If you are a member of the United States armed forces you may be able to apply for citizenship under special provisions and qualifications of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Your dependent spouse and children may also be eligible for citizenship, including expedited and overseas processing.

Citizenship for Military Members and Their Families

The military application for naturalization, or N-400 for Military, is for current members and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who are not already U.S. citizens are eligible for expedited naturalization. For naturalization after one year of qualifying service during “peacetime,” the general eligibility requirements are:

  • Be at least 18 years of age at the time of filing.
  • Have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for at least one year and, if separated from the U.S. armed forces, have been separated honorably.
  • Be a permanent resident at the time of examination on the naturalization application.
  • Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
  • Demonstrate good moral character.
  • Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government.
  • Demonstrate loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution.
  • Demonstrate continuous residence and physical presence in the United States, unless you have filed an application while still in the service or within six months of separation.

Special Qualifications for N-400 Naturalization
You may also qualify for citizenship under special provisions of N-400 that cover:

  • Service During Periods of Hostilities
  • Survivor Benefits for Family Members of Service Members Who Die During Active Duty
  • Posthumous Citizenship for Military Members

If you are serving or served in the US Military and want to apply for citizenship the Immigration Simplified attorneys have a flat-fee service to help you file your case. Please visit our website or call us at (312) 883-9944.

Se Habla Español