Business Immigration: Do You Want to Work in Chicago?

Map and passport

Chicago companies are looking for skilled, talented and educated foreigners to move to Illinois to work and help grow their business and the economy. Relocating to Chicago as an immigrant requires a lot of effort, paperwork and fees, including a work permit, which can take some time to get approved. Business immigration work visas are a work permit that allows you to live and work in the US. Nonimmigrant (temporary) and immigrant (permanent) employment-based visas are established and regulated by the United States Congress.

Business immigration is highly competitive, and one mistake or omission in your application can have severe consequences. In 2018, USCIS received:

  • 6426 Immigrant Entrepreneur applications (1-526)
  • 13629 a Nonimmigrant Worker (Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge applications (L1-B)
  • 418,788 Specialty Occupations H-1B applications (I-129)

Permanent Work Visa

If you want to move to the US permanently, you need to apply for a permanent work visa:

  • EB-1 visa: for priority workers with extraordinary ability, including professors, researchers, executives, managers and athletes – not required to obtain a labor certification
  • EB-2 visa: for advanced degree professionals and professionals with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts or business
  • EB-3 visa: for skilled workers filling positions for which qualified U.S. workers are not available
  • EB-4 visa: for special immigrants and religious workers, including broadcasters, physicians, armed forces members, international organization employees and others
  • EB-5 visa: for investors and entrepreneurs investing a minimum of $1 million or, in a targeted employment area, a minimum of $500,000 in an enterprise that will create or preserve at least 10 full-time jobs for qualifying U.S. workers within two years

Temporary Work Visa

Foreign nationals seeking a temporary work visa for the US for a specific time period need to qualify and apply for one of the many categories of temporary and special work visas:

  • TN NAFTA visas are for Canadians and Mexicans who want to work in the United States
  • Q visa is for cultural roles
  • L-1A/B visa is for intra-company transfers
  • J-1/2 visas for exchange visitors
  • O visas are for people with extraordinary or exceptional skills
  • I visas are for foreign media
  • P-1A/1B/2/3 visas are for athletes, entertainers, and performers in a cultural exchange program
  • E-1/2/3 visas are for traders and investors from Australia
  • H- 1C visas are for nurses
  • H-1B visas are for tech workers and specialty occupations
  • H-2A/B visas are for agricultural and non-agricultural workers
  • R visa for religious workers

In many cases, both the foreign employee and the US employer will be required to complete immigration and visa applications for visas, and many of the categories have annual caps or limits that vary from year to year. Requirements, applications, and processes can be challenging. Many employers who want to hire foreigners and foreigners who want to work in the US hire a business immigration lawyer for advice and to help them successfully manage the immigration procedures.

Immigration Simplified offers cost-effective access to a professional immigration attorney. An Immigration Simplified attorney will guide you through the process and help you file correctly the first time. We review your situation, create and provide you with the proper forms and then help you submit it to the right agency. Contact us today to get started, or call (312) 883-9944.

Se Habla Español