FAQs: How Long Can Green Card Holders Travel Out of the US

Immigrants walking in a line

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCIS) regulations state that green card holders traveling outside of the United States can leave and return to the United States multiple times per year:

If you are a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you may leave the U.S. multiple times and reenter, as long as you do not intend to stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more.

If you intend to stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more, you must apply for a re-entry permit with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) prior to leaving the U.S.

A green card is a document to help you prove your legal permanent residency and also serves as a travel document that allows you to enter in and out of the United States. If your green card is expired, it may be difficult to travel or work. Most green cards are valid for 10 years and you should file for renewal 6 months before it expires.

United States immigration laws are complicated and updated frequently. Mistakes in immigration applications can be costly and stressful and can result in denial of your petition or delays. An Immigration Simplified attorney can review your Green Card eligibility and application or renewal. We review your situation, provide you with the proper forms and help you submit your application. Contact our office or call us at (312) 883-9944. 

Se Habla Español